If you’re looking for a delicious, easy-to-make hot dip for your next party or gathering, then look no further than Rotel Dip!
This cheesy, spicy dip is made with just three ingredients and can be ready in minutes. Serve it with tortilla chips, pork rinds, and/or veggies, and let your guests dive in!
What is Rotel Dip
Rotel Dip is an easy hot cheese dip, very similar to spicy sausage queso.
The dip, which is served hot, gets its name from the can of Rotel tomatoes used in the recipe. You can use an off-brand substitution of diced tomatoes and green chilis, however, this is one recipe where the name brand tastes so good that it doesn’t make sense to use anything different.
In our opinion, Rotel Dip is one of the most classic and easy-to-make dip recipes for parties.
We can’t think of a single occasion where this creamy queso dip, made with sausage, Rotel, and Velveeta cheese, isn’t a huge hit…seriously, it’s that good! And truth be told, it may be one of our all-time favorite dips to make — no special occasion needed!
- Original Rotel – This can of petite diced tomatoes, zesty green chilies, and spices gives Rotel dip its signature flavor.
- Velveeta Cheese – This is another brand-name ingredient that we think is tastier than an off-brand substitute. If you can’t find Velveeta, any brand of processed cheese product can be used.
- Sausage – Pork sausage is our go-to for this recipe.
How to Make Rotel Dip
1. Fully cook sausage over medium heat in a large skillet, drain if necessary.
2. Add Rotel tomatoes and Velveeta cheese cubes to the skillet with cooked sausage. Keeping the heat at medium, stir occasionally as the cheese melts and all ingredients are well combined.
3. Serve dip warm with tortilla chips, veggies or your favorite dippers.
Crockpot Rotel Dip
Guess what? Rotel Dip can be made in the Crockpot!
Simply add COOKED sausage, Rotel, and Velveeta cheese (the same quantities as the skillet version of the recipe) in your slow cooker and set on high for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Set Crockpot to warm until ready to serve.
Tip: If the dip gets too thick from sitting on the warm setting in the Crockpot, add a splash of milk or cream and stir until creamy.
How to Make Rotel Dip with Ground Beef
We personally use pork sausage in our Rotel Dip because it adds a boost of extra flavor and spice. Alternatively, ground beef can also be used to make this dip if desired. Use 1 pound of ground beef in place of sausage, following the same cooking instructions.
What to Dip in Rotel Dip
Tortilla chips are our favorite dipper of choice for this recipe, however, these dippers also work well.
- Pita chips
- Pork rinds – Keeps this recipe low carb!
- Mini sweet peppers
How to Store Rotel Dip
Store leftover dip in a covered container in the fridge for up to three days. Heat and mix well before re-serving.
How Long Does Rotel Dip Last in the Fridge
Our general rule for most dip recipes is they keep in the fridge for 2-3 days. After that time they tend to break down and just don’t taste the same as when they were first made.
Rotel Dip is such a favorite in our house that it doesn’t make it in the fridge longer than two days because it’s fully consumed in that time.
Tips for Making This Dip
- This sausage queso dip has a kick, AKA it’s a little spicy, using the ingredients called out in this recipe. Rotel has a few different variations including “Mild” and “Hot” if you want to take the heat down or kick it up a notch. Using ground beef instead of sausage will also make it milder.
- Add an extra can of Rotel for a thinner dip.
- You can use leftover dip as a topping for tacos or anywhere you would use queso— don’t let this delicious dip go to waste!
Rotel Dip Recipe
- 1 lb ground pork sausage
- 16 oz Velveeta cut into cubes
- 10 oz Rotel Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- Fully cook sausage over medium heat in a large skillet, drain if necessary.
- Add Rotel tomatoes and Velveeta cheese cubes to the skillet with cooked sausage. Keeping the heat at medium, stir occasionally as the cheese melts and all ingredients are well combined.
- Serve Rotel Dip warm with tortilla chips, veggies or your favorite dippers.