These Zaatar Pita Chips are a deliciously unique twist on classic pita chips and are perfect for savory dips, including hummus and tzatziki.
We love pita chips. I mean, we really love them. And when it comes to pita chips, homemade is always best. You can season them however you like, so you can make them for pairing with savory or sweet dips. As a dipper, they are the just so versatile – enhancing almost every party dip.
Today we’re sharing a homemade baked pita chip that is full of flavor, using a spice that may be new to you… but once you try it, we’re betting it will be in your regular rotation.
What is Za’atar
Zaatar or Za’atar is a Middle-Eastern herbed spice mixture that has a bright, earthy, citrus flavor. The seasoning blend is used on protein, vegetables and as a flavor enhancer for snacks, including our recipe for zaatar pita chips, which pair perfectly with savory dips.
What is Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Pita chips are versatile and can be served with a variety of dips as well as on their own for flavorful snacking.
- Zaatar Pita Chips are crispy without being greasy, and you can control the amount of spice to your taste.
- This recipe requires just a few simple ingredients, and while Zaatar might be a new flavor, it’s always fun to try new things!
- These pita chips are ready to eat in 20 minutes.
You’ll only need a few simple spices, some oil, and pita bread to make this recipe. Everything you need is right here, but be sure to check the recipe card at the end of the post for the exact quantities.
- Pita bread
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Dried thyme
- Fresh thyme
- Sesame seeds
Where to Buy Zaatar
With the spices above, you can make your own zaatar at home! If you prefer you can use pre-made zaatar instead of the blend of oregano, dried thyme, sumac, salt and sesame seeds.
We have found spice jars of zaatar on Amazon and as well as select grocery stores and Trader Joe’s.
How to Make Zaatar Pita Chips
Making these chips is super simple. Just cut the pita into triangles, toss them in oil and seasonings, and bake them until crispy. That’s all there is to it!
The recipe overview is here, but you can find the exact instructions in the recipe card at the end of the post.
1. Cut the pita bread into triangles.
2. Toss the pita triangles with olive oil and spices.
3. Bake until golden brown and crispy.
4. Enjoy with your favorite dips!
What to Serve with Zaatar Pita Chips
You can serve this version of baked pita chips with all of your favorite savory dip recipes. They pair perfectly with almost any kind of dip you can think of. We tend to serve them with Mediterranean and Middle Eastern style dips but the flavors can work well will cheese and sour cream dip recipes.
How to Store Zaatar Pita Chips
Store these chips in an air-tight container or Ziploc bag for up to 3 days at room temperature.
Tips for Making Baked Pita Chips
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- Let your pita chips cool for a few minutes for maximum crispiness.
- If you feel like something is missing from the pita chip, add a little sea salt.
Zaatar Pita Chips Recipe
- 2 pieces Pita bread
- 2 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Oregano
- 1 Tbsp Dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp Fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp Sumac
- 2 Tbsp Sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil paper and set aside.
- Cut the pita bread into triangles using a pair of kitchen scissors.
- In a large bowl, mix the pita triangles with the spices, drizzle the olive oil, and toss until they're evenly coated.
- Bake pita for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with your favorite dip and enjoy!