Salmon cream cheese dip is a delicious and easy appetizer option for any gathering or celebration. Made with smoked salmon, cream cheese, mayo, sour cream, capers, dill and lemon, this easy dip recipe has all the yummy flavors of lox and cream cheese!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- It tastes just like lox and cream cheese— just add bagel chips, or use cucumber slices and other veggie dippers to keep this dip recipe low carb!
- This dip looks fancier than it is to make— the total prep time is 5 minutes! It’s perfect for brunch, parties or other gatherings where you want to make an impression.
- Smoked salmon – To keep this recipe easy, look for the best 4oz package of smoked salmon you can buy (splurge on the good stuff!).
- Cream Cheese – Any brand of cream cheese, leave it on the counter for 30 minutes prior to mixing to let soften. Whipped cream cheese can be substituted.
- Mayonnaise – Mayo gives this dip extra creaminess. We prefer full-fat mayo.
- Sour Cream – Gives this smoked salmon dip the perfect amount of creaminess and tang.
- Capers – The salty, briny flavor of non-pareil capers works so perfectly with smoked salmon. Don’t leave these little flavor bombs out!
- Lemon – Freshly squeezed lemon is always best, however, lemon juice concentrate (AKA lemon squeeze bottle) can be substituted.
- Dill – Fresh herbs give this dip a bright, fresh flavor. In a pinch, dried dill can be substituted.
How to Make Salmon Cream Cheese Dip
1. In a food processor, add the cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, and the juice of the lemon. Process until well combined.
2. Add smoked salmon, capers, dill (make sure to remove the stems), salt, and pepper. Process. Make sure you don’t let it process for too long, so you keep little chunks of smoked salmon for texture.
3. Serve with your favorite dippers, including toast or crostini.
What to Dip in Salmon Cream Cheese Dip
Bagel chips are our favorite dipper of choice for smoked salmon cream cheese dip, however, these dippers also work well.
- Mini sliced bagels
- Sliced baguette
- Sliced cucumber
- Baby carrots
- Potato chips
How to Store Salmon Cream Cheese Dip
This smoked salmon cream cheese dip is so good that we would be surprised if there were leftovers!
In the event that you have more dip than you can use, store the leftover dip in an airtight container (we love these glass containers with locking lids for storing dips!) and place it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Tips for Making Salmon Cream Cheese Dip
- You can prepare this smoked fish dip in advance, simply cover it with plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to serve. You will want to let it sit on the counter for 30 minutes or so and then give it a good stir before serving. This dip should be served chilled or at room temperature.
- As this dip contains mayonnaise, it should not be left out for more than 2 hours. After that time it should be refrigerated or discarded. These ice-chilled dip bowls are made specifically to keep cold dips chilled when serving.
- Leftover dip can be used as a spread on bagels— don’t let any of that delicious smoked salmon go to waste! We love spreading leftover salmon dip on mini bagels or toasted french baguette slices.
Salmon Cream Cheese Dip
- 4 oz smoked salmon
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoons dill stems removed
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- In a food processor, add the cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, and the juice of the lemon. Process until well combined.
- Add smoked salmon, capers, dill (make sure to remove the stems), salt, and pepper. Process. Make sure you don’t let it process for too long, so you keep little chunks of smoked salmon for texture.
- Serve with your favorite dippers, including toast and crostini.
Leave a Reply