We call this the best homemade Authentic Hummus Recipe for a reason. It’s rich and flavorful with chickpeas, tahini paste, cumin, olive oil, coriander, and smoked paprika for the classic hummus flavor we all love to dip!
Here at Just Dip Recipes we focus on flavor rather than keeping things healthy, which is why we rarely suggest low-fat substitutions for ingredients. Hummus is one of the exceptions for an amazing dip that is both flavorful and good for you!
We’ve been making this homemade authentic hummus recipe for over a year now and it has become a frequent flyer in our recipe rotation.
Rather than buying hummus at the store, we just whip this authentic hummus recipe whenever we get the urge for classic smooth and creamy hummus. This hummus recipe is fresher and tastier than store-bought, and it’s perfect for just about any gathering you can think of. After all, who doesn’t love good hummus!?
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- It uses simple ingredients you can find in any grocery store.
- It’s a quick an easy recipe that only takes a few minutes to make.
- It’s loaded with all that classic flavor and texture we love in hummus.
- It’s the perfect dip for any gathering, from backyard parties to movie nights and it’s always great to have on hand for healthy snacking.
It only takes a quick trip to the grocery store to get everything you need for this recipe. Even tahini paste can be found at most grocery stores (don’t forget Amazon as a back up option!). Be sure to check the recipe card at the end of the post for exact quantities.
- Lemon Juice
- Garlic Cloves – minced
- Cooked Chickpeas – we use canned
- Ice Water
- Tahini Paste
- Ground Cumin
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Coriander – finely chopped
- Smoked Paprika – for garnish
How to Make the Best Authentic Hummus Recipe
Making this recipe is just as easy as shopping for the ingredients. It only takes a few minutes, and even beginners can make it with ease.
- Add the lemon juice, garlic, and salt to a food processor or blender and blend until the garlic is finely minced.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle on paprika and chopped parsley when serving. Enjoy immediately at room temperature or serve chilled.
What to Dip in Homemade Hummus
Hummus is a classic dip for a reason. It’s so dippable. You can dip a huge variety of items into it, and it’s always delicious. Our favorite hummus dippers are homemade pita chips, however these dippers also work well:
- Veggie straws
- Cucumber slices
- Bell pepper strips
- Pita bread
- Pita chips
- Bagel chips
- Potato chips
How to Store Authentic Hummus Recipe
Refrigerate this hummus for up to 4 days in an air-tight container (we love these glass containers with locking lids for storing dips!). For longer storage, freeze it in an air-tight, freezer-safe container, leaving 1 inch of headspace. Store for up to 4 months.
DIP TIPS! >> How Long Does Homemade Hummus Last
Tips for Making the Best Homemade Hummus
- Always use the freshest ingredients possible when making your hummus.
- After mixing the hummus, give it a taste and adjust the spices according to your preference. We love adding extra lemon to our hummus – adjust spices to your taste,
- Ice water helps keep parts of the hummus from cooking due to friction, so be sure your water is nice and cold.
- Adjust the thickness of your hummus by adding more ice water and blending again if necessary.
Authentic Hummus Recipe
- 1.5 cups Cooked chickpeas canned
- 1/2 cup Tahini paste
- 1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil plus more for drizzel
- 3 Tbsp. Lemon juice
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 4 Tbsp. Ice water or to your desired consistency
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. Coriander finely chopped
- Smoked paprika to garnish
- Start by combining lemon juice, garlic, and salt in a food processor or blender. Blend until the garlic is finely minced.
- Add chickpeas, ice water, tahini, cumin, and olive oil to the mixture. Blend until you achieve a smooth consistency.
- Give the hummus a taste and adjust the seasoning according to your preference.
- When serving, drizzle some olive oil over the hummus and garnish with reserved chickpeas, chopped parsley, and a sprinkle of paprika. Enjoy your homemade hummus with your favorite dippers!